Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution contains liquorice and squill which belong to a group of medicines known as expectorants. They help remove phlegm in people with chesty coughs. Menthol helps relieve congestion in chesty coughs and bronchitis.
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children
Store below 25°C
Do not use after the expiry date. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month
Read all of this section carefully before you start using Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution. It includes other information which might be especially important for you. Always use this medicine exactly as described or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you.
- Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years: 1x or 2x 5ml spoonfuls
- Children 5-12 years: 1x 5ml spoonful
Shake bottle before use.
Dosage schedule: The dose is to be taken every four hours if required. If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor straight away. Take the pack with you to show which medicine you have swallowed.
Do not use the medicine if you or your child have…
- An allergy to any of the ingredients listed
- Any type of heart complaint
- Are an alcoholic
- Have breathing difficulties
- Have raised pressure in your head
- Have heart, liver or kidney problems
Talk to your doctor if you or your child are taking…
- Carbenoxolone for a stomach ulcer
- Medicines that help remove fluids from the body (e.g. water tablets)
If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding: Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this medicine if you are pregnant, might be pregnant or are breastfeeding.
If you take too much: If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor straight away. Take the pack with you to show which medicine you have swallowed
Important information about some of the ingredients. This medicine contains:
- 282mg of alcohol (ethanol) in each 5ml dose. The amount in 5ml of this medicine is equivalent to less than 7ml of beer or 3ml of wine. The small amount of alcohol in this medicine will not have any noticeable effects
- 1.3g glucose and 1.3g sucrose per 5ml dose. This should be considered by patients with diabetes mellitus. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine
- Sodium methyl, ethyl and propyl parahydroxybenzoates (E215, E219) which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed)
- Less than 1mmol sodium (23mg) per 5ml dose, that is to say essentially ‘sodium-free’
Side effects: Like all medicines, Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution can have side effects, although these don’t affect everyone. Possible side effects are:
- Allergic reactions such as dermatitis, skin rash, flushing and itchy lumps
- Higher sodium salt and water levels within the body
- Low blood potassium levels within the body. Unbalanced potassium and sodium levels may produce side effects of muscle weakness, confusion, disorientation, and irregular heartbeat
- Gastrointestinal reactions such as abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea. If you notice these or any other side effects not included above, stop use and tell your doctor or pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
Reporting of side effects: If you get any side effects (including any possible side effects not listed), talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. You can also report side effects directly via the yellow card scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for ‘MHRA Yellow Card’ in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects, you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
The active ingredients per 5ml are: levomenthol 4mg, squill tincture 0.6ml, liquorice liquid extract 0.125ml
The other ingredients are: peppermint oil, anise oil, capsicum tincture (capsicum oleoresin, ethanol), syrup (sucrose), liquid glucose, magnesium aluminium silicate, sodium methyl, ethyl and propyl parahydroxybenzoates (E215, E219), glycerol (E422), caramel (E150c), purified water
- Suitable for vegetarians, vegans and coeliacs
- Free from nuts, artificial colours and artificial flavours
WHERE CAN YOU BUY COVONIA MUCUS COUGH ORAL SOLUTION?
Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution is available to buy online and on the high street at the stores listed below.
Can't find Covonia?
If your local chemist does not stock Covonia, please quote the appropriate PIP code so they can order it for you (it will usually arrive within a working day).
150ml Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution (PIP CODE: 362-9730)
300ml Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution (PIP CODE: 372-8334)
Got a burning question? We answer your FAQs about Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution.
Can children use Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution?
Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution can be taken by children aged 5 years and over. Always read the recommended dose on the back label of the bottle before use.
Why does my Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution taste stronger than usual?
The most likely explanation for this is that the bottle was not adequately shaken. Some of the oils used in the formulation tend to separate when the bottle is at rest and therefore the product carries the instruction to “shake the bottle” before use.
Can you use Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding?
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before use if pregnant or breastfeeding.
Does Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution contain sugar?
Yes. The product contains glucose and sucrose. This should be taken into account if you have diabetes.
Does Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution contain alcohol?
Yes. The medicine contains 7% vol ethanol (alcohol), i.e. up to 600mg per 10ml dose. The amount in 5ml of this medicine is equivalent to less than 7ml of beer or 3ml of wine.
Does Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution come in different sizes?
Yes. Covonia Mucus Cough Oral Solution is available in 150ml and 300ml bottles.
ARTICLES AND ADVICE
We know a thing or two about coughs and colds. Fight back and tackle any symptoms head-on with our expert articles and advice.