This medicine contains liquorice and squill which belong to a group of medicines known as expectorants. They help remove phlegm in people with chesty coughs. Menthol helps relieve congestion in chesty coughs and bronchitis.
Keep it out of the sight and reach of children
Do not store above 25°C
Do not use after the expiry date shown on the carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month
Medicine should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of any unused medicine
Read this section before you use Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture Mentholated. It includes other information which might be especially important for you. This medicine relieves the symptoms of chesty coughs and sore throats in adults, the elderly and children over 5 years.
Recommended doses: Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years: 1x or 2x 5ml spoonfuls
Children 5-12 years: 1x 5ml spoonful
Dosage schedule: The dose is to be taken every 4 hours if required. If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor straight away. Take the pack with you to show which medicine you have swallowed.
Do not use the medicine if you or your child have…
- An allergy to any of the ingredients listed
- Any type of heart complaint
- Are an alcoholic
- Have breathing difficulties
- Have raised pressure in your head
- Have heart, liver or kidney problems
Talk to your doctor if you or your child are taking…
- Carbenoxolone for a stomach ulcer
- Medicines which help remove fluids from the body (e.g. water tablets)
If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding: Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this medicine if you are pregnant, might be pregnant or are breastfeeding.
If you take too much: If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor straight away. Take the pack with you to show which medicine you have swallowed
Important information about some of the ingredients. This medicine contains:
- 282mg of alcohol (ethanol) in each 5ml dose. The amount in 5ml of this medicine is equivalent to less than 7ml of beer or 3ml of wine. The small amount of alcohol in this medicine will not have any noticeable effects
- 1.3g glucose and 1.3g sucrose per 5ml dose. This should be considered by patients with diabetes mellitus. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine
- Sodium methyl, ethyl and propyl parahydroxybenzoates (E215, E219) which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed)
- Less than 1mmol sodium (23mg) per 5ml dose, that is to say essentially ‘sodium-free’
Side effects: Like all medicines, Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture Mentholated can have side effects, although these don’t affect everyone. Possible side effects are:
- Allergic reactions such as dermatitis, skin rash, flushing and itchy lumps
- Higher sodium salt and water levels within the body
- Low blood potassium levels within the body. Unbalanced potassium and sodium levels may produce side effects of muscle weakness, confusion, disorientation, and irregular heartbeat
- Gastrointestinal reactions such as abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea. If you notice these or any other side effect not included above, stop use and tell your doctor or pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
Reporting of side effects: If you get any side effects (including any possible side effects not listed), talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. You can also report side effects directly via the yellow card scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for ‘MHRA Yellow Card’ in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects, you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
The active ingredients per 5ml are:
Levomenthol 4mg, squill tincture 0.6ml, liquorice liquid extract 0.125ml
The other ingredients are:
Peppermint oil, anise oil, capsicum tincture (capsicum oleoresin, ethanol), syrup (sucrose), liquid glucose, magnesium aluminium silicate, sodium methyl, ethyl and propyl parahydroxybenzoates (E215, E217, E219), glycerol (E422), caramel (E150c), purified water
- Suitable for vegetarians, vegans and coeliacs
- Free from nuts and artificial flavours
WHERE CAN I BUY COVONIA CHESTY COUGH MIXTURE MENTHOLATED?
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture Mentholated is widely available from both online stores and on the high street.
Can't find Covonia?
If your local chemist does not stock Covonia, please quote the appropriate PIP code so they can order it for you (it will usually arrive within a working day).
150ml Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture (Mentholated) (PIP CODE: 245-1458)
300ml Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture (Mentholated) (PIP CODE: 293-9239)
We answer your common questions about our Chesty Cough Mixture.
My Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture sometimes tastes stronger than usual, why?
The most likely explanation for this experience is that the bottle was not adequately shaken. Some of the oils used in the formulation tend to separate to the surface when the bottle is at rest and therefore the product carries the instruction to “shake the bottle” before use.
Can children use Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture?
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture can be taken by children aged 5 years and over. Always read the recommended dose on the back label of the bottle.
Can you use Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding?
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before use if pregnant or breastfeeding. Medicines can affect the unborn baby. Always talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine in pregnancy.
Will Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture make me drowsy?
No. Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture works without causing drowsiness.
Does Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture contain sugar?
Yes. The product contains glucose and sucrose. This should be considered if you have diabetes.
How does Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture work?
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture provides symptomatic relief of chesty coughs and sore throats. Liquorice and Squill belong to a group of medicines known as expectorants - they help loosen phlegm in people with chesty coughs. Levomenthol also acts to relieve congestion associated with chesty coughs and bronchitis.
Does Covonia Chesty Cough Medicine contain alcohol?
Yes. The medicine contains 7.7% vol ethanol (alcohol), i.e. up to 600mg per 10ml dose - equivalent to 15ml of beer or 6ml of wine per 10ml dose.
Can I use Covonia Chesty Cough Medicine alongside products containing paracetamol?
Covonia Chesty Cough Medicine does not contain paracetamol, however, we always recommend reading the label or speaking to a pharmacist before using the product alongside other medicines.
Does Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture come in different sizes?
Yes. The medicine is available in 150ml and 300ml sizes.
ARTICLES AND ADVICE
We know a thing or two about coughs and colds. Fight back and tackle any symptoms head-on with our expert articles and advice.